Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Army Field Manual revised to permit torture

This news has brought me very low.

Rumsfeld and Cambone have had the Army Field Manual for interrogation revised to permit torture, and the new sections of the manual will be classified. Classified!

So even if the McCain amendment survives the conference process on the defense spending bill, it will be meaningless.

The amendment's purpose was to confirm existing U.S. law against torture, in any case. As far as I'm concerned, Rumsfeld and Cambone will be violating that law the moment they approve the new manual, or release it for use in the field.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Nell said...

Given how slowly the Army usually moves, this raises the question of how long the revisions have been underway. The NYT article cited in the link may say; I only skimmed it.

 
At 1:06 PM, December 17, 2005, Blogger The Heretik said...

Good to see you have a blog up, Nell. I did post on the latest on this today at Slipping Into Darkness

 
At 1:59 PM, December 17, 2005, Blogger Nell said...

Thanks, H! A real live commenter... so soon. I'll check out your post.

It's going beyond the known facts for me to characterize the new list of approved techniques, but I'm sticking with my worst-case-scenario view. If the revised procedures were consistent with the Geneva Convention and the anti-torture law, they wouldn't be classified.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home