Friday, March 10, 2006

Donald Rumsfeld is coming to town

On Tuesday, May 16, the Worst SecDef Ever will be here to deliver the graduation address at Virginia Military Institute. As when Bush spoke at VMI in June 2002, the security bubble (a.k.a. "the cone of silence") will probably extend to the edge of town. So the East Lexington bridge over the Maury will be our free speech zone; with any luck, there'll be enough of us to cover the length of the bridge.

Suggestions welcomed for signs, props, and chants. We're going to have fun, despite the grimness of the underlying issues. Rumsfeld has made himself into a cartoon figure of evil: unresponsive arrogance and stupendous, whopping lies wrapped in a package of verbal tics, gee-whiz speaking style, and manic hand gestures.

All neatly captured in one of my favorite Fafnir posts, Drivin with Donald. The post is one of many included in Untidy, a book compilation of blog writing on Rumsfeld. The book came out last year, but the man keeps on providing inspiration...

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger Thomas Nephew said...

"I am reminded of this when we hit the second moose."

I still remember reading that the first time and falling off my seat laughing.

Suggestions: well, as you know, I'm fond of the Abu Ghraib ensemble; maybe a whole brigade of Abu Ghraib guys lining the bridge? Simple to do (pillowcase, black dye, poncho), fairly photogenic.

 
At 3:33 PM, March 16, 2006, Blogger Nell said...

The Abu Ghraib symbol was definitely part of our thinking, and I was going to ask for tips.

There are large numbers of Rumsfeld's rictus-like grin; I hope to enlarge a few to poster size, that will be juxtaposed with images of the results of his policies.

Cars will be going by at 35-45 mph, so messages have to be simple and large-scale.

 
At 3:56 AM, April 23, 2006, Blogger elendil said...

Suggestions welcomed for signs, props, and chants.

I've got something that might be useful. I created these satirical "trivia cards" based on the torture stuff I've researched. Like alternate reality chick-tracts. I've put them here. They're meant to be humorous, but they might be a bit jarring as well. I can't tell the difference these days. Anyway, if you think they're suitable, you're free to copy them and surreptitiously leave them on park benches or in public bathrooms. Or maybe you can just shower them on the streets in the path of his entourage. Ticker-tape.

 
At 4:00 AM, April 23, 2006, Blogger elendil said...

(My favourite is #26)

 
At 1:27 PM, April 23, 2006, Blogger Nell said...

Thanks for the pointer to the cards. They are pretty jarring, I have to say... But they do bring the reality home.

 
At 7:22 PM, April 26, 2006, Blogger elendil said...

They are pretty jarring, I have to say..

I think it only fair to spread the love ;-) Will you use them? Or could you tell me if you decide to? I'd love to hear about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home