Tuesday, July 11, 2006

You go, Amlo!

Mexican presidential candidate Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is pushing for a recount in the election that may have been stolen from him, and Ginger Thompson, or her editor at the NY Times, waits until the very end of the story to get to the point:
“They have a real case,” said John M. Ackerman, an expert on electoral law at the National Autonomous University of Mexico. [He] argued that a recount would strengthen democracy by removing public doubt about the transparency of the process. He said he believed that Mr. López Obrador had shown enough evidence to raise the tribunal’s attention.
Further up the page:
Election authorities announced last week that Mr. Calderón, a former energy minister, had defeated Mr. López Obrador by a slim margin of 243,000 votes out of 41 million cast. Those results have not been ratified by the Federal Electoral Tribunal, which has until Aug. 31 to rule on whether it will grant Mr. López Obrador’s request for a recount. Until it does, Mexico remains without a settled heir to the presidency.
That last bit allows the reader to sense Ms. Thompson's lower lip beginning to tremble with concern, echoing her earlier plaint that Lopez Obrador's screening of videos showing election fraud "added to Mexico’s strong sense of political uncertainty."

There, there, darlin'; unclench. As it happens, Mexico has -- by design and as a matter of completely normal routine -- a very long period between elections and certification, and between certification and the actual transfer of power. Nice try at getting the readers all verklempt, but we're not buying. Nope, we're sitting back in the chaise, sipping a cool one, and looking forward to the recount.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger janinsanfran said...

Actually, I've been amazed at the degree to which the NYT has recognized that there might have been less to their desired outcome than meets the eye.

I'm hoping to hear from friends in Mexico soon about what it looks like on the ground. I remember too well how those of us who were watching knew an election was being stolen in 2000 and fear for my friends.

 
At 5:59 PM, July 20, 2006, Blogger Nell said...

I go away for a week and the world whirls closer to all-out conflagration... and this blog has its first comment spam!

However, it's for a book, and at least of potential interest. Pretty classy for commercial abuse of a comment section.

So, here's the comments policy on out: Spam other than for books will be deleted, and even then severe discretion will be exercised.

 
At 7:13 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Gary Farber said...

"That last bit allows the reader to sense Ms. Thompson's lower lip beginning to tremble with concern..."

[...]

"There, there, darlin'; unclench."

Um, do you know this person personally that she set you off? These remarks seem very personal, and very unpleasant.

I have a thing about how maybe, as a rule, folks should consider what one would and wouldn't say in person to someone, and why that should or should not differ when doing it behind their back.

That's just me, to be sure; I'm not trying to impose any rules.

I'm just wondering what's with the ickiness. Not that you have to explain to me.

It just seems extremely unpleasant, and I don't know where that's coming from.

I tend to avoid an awful lot of blogs that go for personal attacks and nastiness; I don't really get the appeal of that stuff as opposed to the repellentness. As a rule, it creeps me out.

 
At 6:29 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Nell said...

Sorry that my snarkiness creeps you out, Gary. "extremely unpleasant"?

Maybe the effort I usually put into comments on other blogs, which is where the majority of my writing is found, made this post especially "icky" because it made my tone here a surprise.

The mockery in my post has nothing to do with the reporter personally. It's rooted in bitterness created by decades of reading establishment press efforts just like Ms. Thompson's to delegitimize left candidates. I see the game that's being played, and it makes my lip curl.

If I were alone with Ms. Thompson, my tone would depend on the extent to which she responded honestly and uncondescendingly to questions about her reporting.

As you well know, there are lots of issues, including this one, on which I can master my emotions and have a discussion in a way that throws up as few obstacles as possible to being heard.

But sometimes, on my own blog, especially after freaking weeks of horrific news and a day before going away on vacation, I feel entitled to express what I feel in the way that I feel it.

However, I see that indulging my feelings even to this minimal degree risks losing about twenty percent of the readership of this blog. That would be a shame.

Can't make any guarantees, however, so caveat lector.

 
At 8:46 AM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Marilee Scott said...

The August issue of Le Monde Diplomatique has a longish analysis of the Mexican elections that argues for massive fraud. (link)

If you don't read French, there is an English version on their website, but it seems possible that you have to subscribe to get it.

 
At 2:20 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Nell said...

Thanks very much for the pointer, Jackmormon. It'll give me a chance to see how my French comprehension has decayed, or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home