Saturday, June 20, 2009

Watching and hoping

Update: 21 June, 2:30 pm - To clarify what I'm hoping for: that this movement continues to deepen, that it can pry open more space for authentic democracy in Iran, and that it will be able to do so with a minimum of bloodshed. I say that with full consciousness of the long and continuing history of my government's pernicious intervention in Iran and around the world, and its exploitation of popular movements for its own ends. I say it while aware of the unsavory and compromised backgrounds of the powerful men who "lead" or support this movement.

We all knew people going out onto the streets today would be killed. Grandstanding by reckless cheerleaders who want this to be all about their own moral or political stance disgusts me. But, likewise, it's unnecessarily constricting to allow the ugly background to block one's ability even to acknowledge what has been accomplished in the last ten days. [See my comment here for more along those lines.]

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, June 20, 2009, Blogger Darlene said...

Since the news is coming in haphazardly, we can only guess at what is happening at this moment, but I am fearful that it's another brutal and bloody crackdown. And the Ayatollah is supposed to be a man of God. Yeah, right! He says the blood is on the hands of the victims. By blaming the protesters, he can sleep at night. A terrible travesty of justice.

 
At 2:41 PM, June 21, 2009, Blogger knowdoubt said...

Hi Nell, I've been appreciating your comments and posts, you do keep people "honest." I saw a couple over at "A Tiny Revolution" that I thought were really good. Just wanted to tell you how much I thought of them. I guess, you'ved seen the pictures of Neda who has paid so much for the authoritarian MF's of this world who "got theirs" and want to keep it that way.

 
At 6:23 PM, June 21, 2009, Blogger Saman Mohammadi said...

I agree largely with your analysis. The ongoing uprising is a reflection of deeper discontents, and the young people were destined to finally take a stand. But we should also be mindful of the CIA, America and Israel's interests and their intrusion. I think their spy games in the end will not be favorable, like it was in 1953--but, we can never rule out calls for direct military intervention by the Republicans and Israelis under the pretext of saving Iranian lives from their brutal dictatorship.

It's best if the West just stays out of it, and lets the Iranian people fight and control their destiny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home