Sunday, September 10, 2006

Armchair Leninism

Comfortably ensconced in the Philadelphia suburbs, gainfully employed, Billmon wants to heighten the contradictions:

I'm rooting (through gritted teeth) for the Rovians to win this match [the midterm elections] -- or, more accurately, not lose it -- because I think both the Cheney Administration's fake reality and the genuine article have even more unpleasant surprises in store for this country, and I don't think either the Democratic Party or the American people can handle them at this point.

Is that right? I can't say for sure that we can, thank you, but I'm damned glad we get to decide for ourselves.

Update: 11:45 pm 20 Sept - Never let it be said that the man doesn't make the occasional irritation worth it.

Update 2: 10:30 am 24 April 2007 - Links to billmon.org are dead; have changed them to whiskeybar.org, which (for now) makes the Billmon archives available except for images.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Thomas Nephew said...

I was pretty disappointed with that post. I think we have a narrow window of opportunity to hold people really accountable for torture and the misbegotten Iraq war, and billmon isn't helping -- and what's more, he's touting that as some kind of wisdom. That's his prerogative, but it definitely gets him a demotion in my mental list. (I'm sure he's despondent about that :)

 
At 8:18 PM, September 15, 2006, Blogger Gary Farber said...

Billmon seems to have really gone off the deep end into an excess of his own theories in the last year and a half or so, it seems to me.

On the other hand, since I formed that impression some half a year or so (or somewhat more), I dropped him from my blogroll, so my sampling is comparatively thin of late.

I've also always despised the heighten-the-contradictions line.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home