Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Jim Webb is dead to me.

Sen. Webb's vote for the horrible "Protect America Act" last August made me decide not to waste any more effort in electoral work. It was a direct betrayal of what he'd promised on the campaign trail, when he made reining in the out-of-control executive branch one of the three major points of his message.

After the intial wave of rage and revulsion receded, I held out a tiny hope that by the time the Senate revisited the issue, Webb might recognize that vote as a mistake. That hope was sustained during last week's deliberations when he seemed to be voting the right way, even making floor statements in support of those fighting the good fight to preserve the constitution. His office told constituents he was opposed to immunity for the telecom corporations who broke the law to carry out warrantless eavesdropping for this lawless regime.

But today he cast an unforgivable vote for telcom immunity -- all the more unforgivable for being unnecessary and un-bought. Glad to have that cleared up. I'm walking away with no nagging regrets.

Update: Feb 15 3:00 pm - Pretty sad day when Silvestre Reyes is a profile in courage and Jim Webb is the calculating weenie. Reyes' letter to the president announcing the House's refusal to be stampeded into making further bad law is a refreshing read.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, February 12, 2008, Blogger Thomas Nephew said...

I'm really sorry. Mikulski did, too, but she's been in the bag for just about any surveillance measure put in front of her. And it's not the breach of election trust Webb's was. A sad warning given today's shining knight on a white horse.

 
At 1:37 PM, February 13, 2008, Blogger Nell said...

My expectations of the big O are appropriately low. I'm happy about his big thumping victories yesterday, because of the way it lowers the chance we'll nominate another candidate who voted for the war. But I'm not expecting anything really good -- only averting the truly abysmal.

Democratic voters in the western and southwestern white, rural counties of Virginia are, shall we stay, stuck in the fifties. They'll go to McCain for the general, I'm afraid. Could make the difference in the state's chances to go Dem in a presidential election for the first time since we went all the way with LBJ.

Or not. Turnout was phenomenal yesterday, especially considering how many people in NoVa didn't get to vote, stuck in icy traffic.

 
At 11:25 AM, February 17, 2008, Blogger libhom said...

Webb was a Republican who was in the Reagan administration. It's no wonder he did this. People forget what a monster Reagan was and how corrupt and evil his administration was.

You don't have to trust politicians to do electoral work. You can support politicians based on which ones will make your activist work less difficult. It's not a hugely optimistic view, but it is operationally sound.

 
At 10:38 PM, February 17, 2008, Blogger RightDemocrat said...

Like his FISA vote or not, Jim Webb would be a strong VP choice for Obama. Keep in mind that the Democrats are running against John McCain and cannot afford to be labeled as soft on national security issues. My guess is that Webb could make a critical difference in the race against McCain. Webb can match McCain's defense credentials and win over the swing voters.

 
At 3:59 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Nell said...

People forget what a monster Reagan was and how corrupt and evil his administration was.

I'm not one of those people.

And I don't think Webb is corrupt or evil.

You don't have to trust politicians to do electoral work.

You do to give as much money and time as I gave Webb.

Been in the rigged game for thirty-six years, hanging on by my fingernails. I'll always vote, but I'm done working. The energy will go into policy advocacy.

 
At 4:06 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Nell said...

I can certainly see the appeal of Webb as a VP candidate to the campaign, but I wonder if he would take the job. He might if he were given a real portfolio -- his and McCaskill's 'Truman commission' on mil spending, or overhaul of vets benefits, or both.

I'm sure Gov. Kaine has considered the possibility; wonder who he'd appoint to replace Webb. I believe that person would have to run for re-election in 2010.

 
At 3:45 PM, February 29, 2008, Blogger Noumenon said...

If Jim Henley hadn't tagged you, I never would have even known which way Webb voted, nor that it was against a campaign promise (I gave him money too, but mostly because Hilzoy said so I think). So spread the word.

 
At 10:43 AM, March 03, 2008, Blogger Nell said...

Thanks, noumenon. I guess I should say something at Obsidian Wings, but it's become such an all-Obama-all-the-time site...

There are signs that the House is about to cave on immunity, so now is the moment, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home